22023-09-26, 16:00 Appetizers and GIS 1st plates are assessed
As I wrote last week, they were graded credit, no credit due to my time crunch from illness.
2023-09-22, 16:42 Not done yet
I haven’t finished your assignments this week (my other three classes came first this time) but I’ll be done by Tuesday when we meet. Thank you.
2023-09-21, 8:22 Away from Normandale again today.
I am having continued side effects from the COVID shot, though nothing concerning and the side effects are lessening.
Thus, I will be not working today.
As I cannot support your Assignments in the usual way, I have decided to treat this week’s work as credit no credit.
I’l grade tomorrow and if you’ve made a good faith effort (all the parts of the assignment are there in the usual college-level writing) you’ll get full credit. If it’s not there, or only partly done, no credit.
Many students have written to express how they are struggling in our class emotionally and intellectually. I will try to respond to these emails today.
2023-09-20, 7:25 Class suspended for 24 hours
My family is a bit tired recovering from our COVID shots yetsterday (yay!), so I’m suspending class today.
I’ll resume regular communication tomorrow.
2023-09-18, 10:56 Academic warning email
If you currently have an F in our class, I’ve submitted your names to our Counseling and Advising department for additional support.
For some of you, you had early difficulties and are now producing regular, credit-worth work. For others, there are continued struggles. I am committed to helping you succeed and passing this class, and inviting your advisor into conversation is part of the commitment.
2023-09-07, 15:39 Appetizers read and assessed
A fascinating offering of oral history, newspaper articles, and professional history articles relating to our readings.
2023-08-31, 20:59 1st Plate for Week 3 posted
NOTE: Your Appetizer assignment is still due Tuesday night. I’ll be finishing this week’s grades tomorrow.
2023-08-25, 13:22 FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions
- What about tests, like a midterm or final?
- A. There are no tests. I designed this class around 32 assignments that worth 2-3% of your total grade. That means each week you learn a little and earn a little (grade). There are no tests. You do have a final project, and it follows the same steps (apptetizer, 1st plate, 2nd plate, dessert) that our regular weeks do and should be just 10% more work than a regular 2 week group of assignments.
- Is there something due every week?
- A. Yes. Every Tuesday and Thursday, unless otherwise noted in the syllabus, there is something due.
- My family scheduled a vacation, my sports team is travelling to Florida, my sister is getting married: can I have an extension?
- A. No. There is no late work. I drop two weeks worth of grades with a 12% grade. The exceptions are for deployment and hospitalization. If hopitalized, please wait until you are better to contact me, no need for bedside chats- history is full of dead people, they can wait until you’re home.
- Why are the assignments called "Appetizer," "1st Plate," "2nd Plate," and "Dessert."
- A. We’re using food (and flood) as a theme, so using food metaphors made sense to me. Also, calling the assignments pre-work, 1st project, 2nd project, and reflection bored me.
2023-08-23 Appetizer 1
Thanks to all who have done the Appetizer Get-to-know-you form under Syllabus: Schedule and Grades. This form is how I start the class for you, so if you haven’t filled it out, please do so as soon as possible. Thank you. Looking forward to a great class with you.