Historians and other historical professionals use social media in a variety of ways. Some historical professionals, such as museum curators, use social media to draw attention to physcial spaces, such as exhibits at museums. Other scholars publish their ongoing scholarhip on social media. Even more use social media as a personal learning network, to expand their capabilities. Finally, many use social media just to highlight interesting historical details.
The values of social media do no always correspond with the value of history. For our response assignment, we considered the following questions.
What are the values of social media?
What are the values of history?
Chose a social media platform. Write a lesson plan to teach this class about how to use your social media platform to understand the history of mid-20th century Minnesota. Your lesson plan should have:
- Learning goals (at least 3): what do you want students to be able to do after completing your assignment?
- And explanation of the platform for novices. What are the key vocabulary terms, actions, and cultural practices students need to know to operate in your social media?
- Specific actions for a student to take.
- Specify the format that you wish for the assignment.
- At least one primary and one secondary source.
- Student included three learning goals for their assignment.
- Assignment used clear language and instructions.
- Assignment included key terms, actions, and cultural practices of a social media site.
- Assignment includes at least one primary and one secondary source.
- Assignment provides a specific product for the assignment.