MN history map exercise
- Choose a map from the MN Historical Society 1500-1699 Collection. Link
- Open and review a map.
- Answer the below questions in complete sentences.
- Save your answers as a .txt file written in Markdown and upload to Week 4 assignments.
- Student will demonstrate that ability to research the provenance of maps.
- Student will critique the geographic accuracy of a map.
- Student will identify the historical perspectives of the map makers.
- Student will create a coherent thesis explaining how this map reflected a specific argument about the past.
Please answer in complete sentences, using only your own words.
- When was you map created and by whom?
- What information can you find from credible websites on the biography of your map maker?
- What does this map get right about MN and North America?
- What does this map get wrong about MN and North America?
- Chose one element of the map: what does this element reflect of the perspective of the map maker?
- What three questions does this map raise for you about 16th or 17th century geographic knowledge?
- Articulate a thesis of the map.
- Create a thesis about the thesis of the map.